You can also build a javascript array of the descriptions.
When the user selects the option from the list, execute a javascript
function that will do a lookup for the description in the array and set a
hidden form field with the description found in the array.

It may happen that the character you use to delimit the key and value will
end up in the value and then the fun starts !

HTH,
Glenn

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
01/09/2005 12:07 PM
Please respond to

cc
Struts Users Mailing List <user@struts.apache.org>
Subject
Re: Select Options Question

On the result page I only need the Label for the selected option. Not the
entire list. The problem is that when you submit the form, you only submit
the value in the form object and loose the label. I need to pass the label
as well so that I do not have to requery for it.

The way that i have it currently is that the value contains a comma
delemited string containing both the label and key (overkill on the
bandwidth I know). In my action class, I do a string.split on the comma
and pass the first value to my DAO processor and the Second value I put in
my form for display. It is the only way I could think of without iterating
through the options or storing the initial results which populate the
option list.

"Frank W. Zammetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Frank W. Zammetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
09/01/2005 11:28 AM

Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: Select Options Question

I'm not sure I understand... do you just need to have the group name
when you display the detail for the selected item, or do you need the
entire select list (to avoid getting it from the datavase each time?)

If you just need the grou pname, could you simply put the group name in
session?  May or may not work depending on the flow of your app, but it
would be a nice, simple solution if it'll work... just remember to clear
it out at an appropriate time.

The other option that comes to mind immediately is indeed to use
Javascript... seems like all you'd need is a form with two hidden
fields, groupName and value... onChange of the select, populate those
two fields and submit() the form.  You'd then have both pieces of
information to render your detail page.

Or maybe I don't understand the problem?

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect