Vic Cekvenich on 09/09/05 21:52, wrote:
http://jroller.com/page/RickHigh?entry=is_struts_dead_is_struts

Is he going to get over it?
I wonder who the #2 framework is?

As someone who has never really contributed much to struts except a few bug reports, I feel slightly out-of-place saying this, but to a certain extent he is correct, although really it is a matter of semantics, since struts is not dead, it's just been fairly dormant.

Struts would have avoided the whole "struts is dead" thing by bringing out more elegant solutions to certain problematic areas such as dropdown boxes:

* dropdown box data setup & display
* dropdown box data request parameter handling (I'm thinking of Hibernate when the DTOs don't have primary keys)
* i18n of dropdowns
* reference data cache

There are some great things happening in struts though and when they go live, I'm sure it will shut a few people up. It'll be a case of "struts is dead, long live struts!"