Cool, thanks Craig. It might amaze you to hear that not a single one of those items I really disagree with :)

I was in the middle of composing a big, grandious new message, but I think I can ask a single question here that really sums up all that I was writing there...

Of this list, I don't see a single thing that can't be done in current Struts. Admittedly some are not as easy as others, but none of it, as far as I can tell, is undoable. So, the question is, why don't we? Not you specifically Craig, I know your off on your own crusade :) Just a general question for everyone else.

Over the past few months there have been a number of people who have attempted to evolve Struts to "catch up" in some ways with what other frameworks are doing. They have been turned away, sometimes for obviously legitimate reasons, sometimes for more debatable ones. Everyone seems to want to go off and create something entirely new when I haven't seen a single good, concrete reason why Struts as it exists today can't be evolved. Why?

Many of the things that people claim to want in a modern framework I have either myself done or seen done with the current Struts codebase. Things like components that remember and render their own state ala JSF, a simple managed bean facility (IoC), built-in AJAX support, something akin to a prerender facility, the work of Michael Jouravlev, all of these things have been done in Struts, so clearly it is not a case of Struts not being expandable or "fixable". Why is there so much seeming resistance to doing this I wonder?

Frank