Two responses and both suggesting I push all my beans into the session scope.

This really does beg the question, what purpose is the request scope for a
bean?  My
only answer was display-only material.  Is this really how it was designed?

Sorry to be asking so many design questions but I really find it hard to
understand that
after all of these years (of Object Oriented Design) we are still using globals
to store
values that are processed through one form.

Kind regards
mc

On 11 Sep 2005 at 21:13, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> From: "Murray Collingwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > I guess pushing the form bean into the session would do this, but session
> > variables for a
> > request level function is probably not recommended.
>
> It is by me. :)  Put the form in session scope, and most of your problems
> will disappear.  You pick up a couple of new ones, but the tradeoffs are
> generally worth it.
>
> One of my webapps deals exclusively with editing records, and it takes
> several requests to finally complete an edit (or an add).  All that time, I
> have a DTO (Value Object... what are we calling them this week?) and a form
> bean in session scope, updating the DTO as necessary until the user hits
> 'Finish'.
>
> The database key is read-only, in fact it's never in the form bean, it gets
> displayed with <c:out> directly from the DTO.
>
> --
> Wendy Smoak

FOCUS Computing
Mob: 0415 24 26 24