From: James Mitchell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 12:33 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: To Whom it may concern

Hi Mario, contributing to Open Source can be exciting and frustrating at

the same time.  I'm happy that you've decided to volunteer your time.

I would say your best bet is to decide on what you'd like to do.  This
should be something that interests you, which, typically, would be
something you are having to do at work for work, but that's not always
the case.

If you aren't sure where you want to help out, a good place to start
would be to help out with documentation.  This is often the area that is

lacking in *many* open source projects.  Of if you want write some code
and not docs, you could add to or improve the projects test coverage.

There are many ways to help.  No need to send a resume.  Your work is
your resume, a thriving community is your salary, and any "thank you"
from a user is your bonus.

Welcome to Apache!

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> I've never contributed to the Apache Project before, but am a regular
user
> of its tools and love working with it. This March, I will likely be
laid
> off because of the merger between Federated and May companies. I will
be
> given a severance package and have decided that I would like to spend
4-6
> months living abroad and contributing to the project. Naturally I
wouldn't
> expect to start out as anything more than a Volunteer, but would
> appreciate the challenges of a Committer. I'm writing this now because

> when the time comes, I would like to jump in with a large load, just
> keep the momentum going. That means I'd probably start doing some
small
> contributing to a specific sub-project and stick with it.
>
>  I've worked for the USPS, the DOD, and now for May/Federated. I'm a
BS in