From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This works fine and I can save the correct value to the database.  The
question I have is how do I display the same option tag when updating
the user and the details are returned from a database.

The same JSP snippet you posted should work in both the 'add' and 'edit' forms.

For select list contents that are the same for every user, I use a ServletContextListener to place collections in application scope, and then use <html:options> or <html:optionsCollection>. This avoids hard-coding the list of options.

--
Wendy Smoak