Jeff,

It is common to have SSL between the browser and apache (httpd), and no
SSL between apache (httpd) and Tomcat. So you don't need to install a
cert on your tomcat.

Depending on how you are proxying requests from your httpd server to
tomcat (or if you also have load balancers and other components in
front), you can have trouble with redirects. For instance, if the world
knows your app as http://www.company.com/ and your app redirects the
user to https://tomcatserver.dmz.company.com/, you have some issues to
resolve. These issues are generally resolvable -- just be on the lookout
for bad redirects.

-Max