Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: Is this an appropriate use for plugins

See

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsPlugins

Niall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Faisal Mahmoud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 8:34 PM

For the webapp I am writing, I have several compenents that run as
services that always need to be available. I refer to them as
JobManagers. Basically, a job handler will receive a job request, add
that job to it's job queue and then launch a thread to work on the
job. I plan on having these JobManagers implemented as Singletons.

I would like these classes live for the duration of the webapp. They
should start up when the app server (tomcat for dev, websphere for
production) starts up, initialize all their resources and then sit and
wait for requests for jobs.

Is using a plugin the correct way to make sure these classes are
instantiated on startup?