John Andrews wrote:

Is there someway to get the validator to only return directly to the jsp
page only after a submit - not after an initial request? - or is there
some other good way to solve/design around this issue?
I simply turn off auto-validation.

In my Actions I forward to the input forward on a GET. On a POST (which all my forms submit with) I run the form's validate method and do the appropriate thing.

This is the easiest way to use the same Action classes for initial form display and form processing, although some might argue that this isn't a good idea :)

Dave