I don't think anything wrong w/ DTO.

You have your DAO, your model... in my case I use collections as DTO, but beanutils is fine.

.V

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi, Gurus,

Background: I just started a Struts project with Hibernate.  I have chosen to
use the Data Access Object with (Abstract Factory) design pattern because my
client uses Oracle and I use Postgresql database.  I am working with other
teams remotely and they decided to use DTO.

Problem: A few months ago, I recall a message thread on this list with a subject header of: 'DTOs are evil'. Since I am new to this, I am having problems understanding why. I thought that DTO are for data storage and data transfer between Business and Value Objects.
Questions: I have the following questions:

1. Why I shouldn't choose it?
2. Should I be using the Apache Commons BeanUtils in my action?  It has a
method like BeanUtils.copyProperties(...).

3. If not BeanUtils, then what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Bob

thx,
.V