I figured that it's not a JDK issue and it is an
application server issue. I use OC4J (Oracle IAS) and
I'm upgrading from a version that supports JSP 1.1 to
the one that is certified for JSP 1.2.
So, could this be a JSP 1.1 - 1.2 compatibility issue?

The JSP Compiler of the OC4J container doesn't seem to
recognize the bean:define tags embedded inside Struts
logic tags.

See JSP code snippet below:

<logic:present name="userRequest" scope="session">

<bean:define id="userRequest" name="userRequest"
scope="session" type="dsap.business.UserRequest"/>
<bean:define id="employee" name="userRequest"
property="employee" type="dsap.business.Employee" />
<bean:define id="userModuleList" name="userRequest"
property="userModuleList" />

</logic:present>

And I get an error message when I access the
"userRequest" bean's properties in my JSP:

eg.
value="<%=userRequest.getReqType()%>" />

Error:
JspServlet: unable to dispatch to requested page:
oracle.jsp.provider.JspCompileException: Errors
compiling:[jsp src:line #:133] cannot resolve symbol:
variable userRequest

Any idea on what could be wrong here? Is there any
workaround for this?

I would not want to use JSTL as I have some time
constraints.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shyam