Thanks for the help everyone.

David,

As far as the issue of timing, users, etc. this is a site in
development. So about 4 developers are working continuously on the site
and so it's definitely something that happened as a result of a change
by another developer, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I don't
know when it occurred. It just doesn't validate right now. All jars are
the same.

loginForm extends the ValidatorForm.

What else? I found the place where seemingly my one rule (I commented
the others out) gets loaded for the form...

DEBUG [main] (ValidatorResources.java:192) - Adding FormSet 'FormSet:
language=n
ull  country=null  variant=null
   Form: loginForm
        Field:
                key = username
                property = username
                indexedProperty = null
                indexedListProperty = null
                depends = required
                page = 0
                fieldOrder = 0
                Vars:

Does that look right? This is what sets it up.

validation.xml
    <formset>
        <form name="loginForm">
            <field property="username" depends="required">
                <arg key="loginForm.username"/>
            </field>
        </form>
    </formset>

struts-config.xml
        <form-bean name="loginForm" type="oururl.form.LoginForm"/>

and later...
        <action path="/loginSubmit"
type="oururl.action.LoginSubmitAction" scope="request" name="loginForm"
validate="true" input=".login">
            <forward name="success" path="/chooseProfileDisplay.do" />
            <forward name="failure" path=".login" />
        </action>

So I don't know what to do at this point. It all seems to be setup
right.

Preston

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/8/2005 4:21 PM >>>
Preston,

1. Did the problem occur after a web application server (Jetty,
Tomcat,
JBoss, etc.) shutdown/startup cycle or while the application was
running
uninterrupted?

2. Have you changed ANY jar files in the webapp or any class files?
Anything which could have caused a spontaneous webapp reload?  The log
files
in your container should indicate a shutdown/restart.

3. I see your action is listed (in a previous post) as with the form
name
"loginForm".  Does that form extend ValidatorActionForm?  And what is
your
struts-config.xml form-bean definition?

4. Are there any other developers for this site?

5. What are the file datestamps/timestamps on teh web.xml,
struts-config.xml, validation.xml, validator-rules.xml, etc.  Are they
recent (as in someone might have modified them before the last webapp
restart) or dated months ago (indicating no recent changes) ?

Regards,
David