Well, first, are we talking about the right ajaxtags? :)  There's a whole
separate project with that name, and they supply essentially complete
AJAX-based components.  The ajaxtags in JWP is more low-level and
flexible, more of a toolkit in the classic sense.

I ask because in fact most of what my ajaxtags does doesn't involve XML.
:)  At least, it's completely optional.

Take a look at this article:

http://omnytex.com/articles/

Basically, you know the URL you pass to XMLHttpRequest?  Well, you can
append a query string to it, and then you get the parameters just like any
other parameter on the server (maybe in a Struts Action for example... in
fact, Struts doesn't know it's an AJAX request coming in, so it will
populate your form for you like always).  You can also change the method
to POST.  The article I referenced shows doing exactly that (check out the
sample app that's attached to it to see it in action).

In addition to query strings, the payload you send doesn't have to be
XML... you can just as easily send a comma-separate list for example, or
whatever format you'd like.  This is all true whether your using ajaxtags
or something else.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect