Thanks Laurie for the suggestion.
the pre-population action >>>> (so when validation fails, Struts forwards to
preCreate, not directly to the JSP).
 That explains why the request variables are getting wiped off! :-) I
realize I am pointing directly to the JSP page. I changed it now to point to
preCreate.
  However, I have only one action class for all these operations. I just
have various operations/functions inside that action class to handle them. I
use the dispatch action servlet and not the action servlet and preCreate,
create etc are various parameterized function calls on this dispacth action
class.
 How would you achieve setting false and true on validations based on each
operation in dispatch action?
 I am posting some relevant portions of my struts-config.xml. The minute I
changed validate="true", I am getting an exception. And I think I can
explain it. It is validating before the user inputs anything. Naturally it
fails. Then it redirects to the same "input" page. Again fails validation...
its just going into an endless loop. :(
 Please suggest whats the best way to work around this?

<form-bean name="studentEnquiryForm" type="
org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm">
<form-property name="studentEnquiry" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentEnquiry "/>
<form-property name="contactAddress" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentAddress"/>
<form-property name="permanentAddress" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentAddress "/>
<form-property name="educationDetails" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentEducationDetail[]"
size="4"/>
<form-property name="workExperience" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentWorkExperience"/>
<form-property name="enquiryCentreId" type="java.lang.Integer"/>
<form-property name="enquiryCourseId" type=" java.lang.Integer"/>
<form-property name="studentEnquiryId" type="java.lang.Integer"/>
<form-property name="newsPaperIds" type="int[]"/>
<form-property name="discoverySourceIds" type="int[]"/>
<form-property name="centreTimePreferences" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentCentreTimePreference[]"
size="3"/>

<form-property name="studentEnquiryFilter" type="
com.tuningfork.student.businessobject.enquiry.StudentEnquiryFilter"/>
</form-bean>

  <action attribute="studentEnquiryForm" name="studentEnquiryForm"
path="/StudentEnquiry" scope="request"
validate="false" type="com.tuningfork.student.action.StudentEnquiryAction"
parameter="operation" input="/StudentEnquiry.do?operation=preCreate">
<forward name="preCreateSuccess"
path="/student/StudentEnquiry.jsp?nextOperation=create"/>
<forward name="preUpdateSuccess"
path="/student/StudentEnquiry.jsp?nextOperation=update"/>

<forward name="viewSuccess" path="/student/StudentEnquiry.jsp"/>
<forward name="createSuccess" path="home"/>

<forward name="initFilterForUpdateSuccess"
path="/student/StudentSearch.jsp?nextOperation=prepareListForUpdate"/>
<forward name="prepareListForUpdateSuccess"
path="/student/StudentSearch.jsp?nextOperation=prepareListForUpdate"/>
<forward name="updateSuccess"
path="/student/StudentEnquiry.jsp?nextOperation=update"/>

</action>