As far as I know, Tomcat only supports fully reloading the whole app. You might want to ask on the Tomcat list to be sure, though.

L.

Mon Cab wrote:
Thanks Laurie.
That helps a lot.  I read about the context.xml file,
but couldnt find an example file, and wasn't sure what
to write in it.
After poking around in the conf directory, I was also
confused as to where I would find the host element.
.... do you know if its possible to specify which
parts of the app are reloaded, or will Tomcat, just
reload the whole app ?

--- Laurie Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There's various options for where you can define a
context. From the top of the page I liked to before:

----------

In addition to nesting Context elements inside a
Host element, you can also store them:

    * in the individual
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml file: the Context element information will be loaded by all
webapps
* in the individual

$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml.default

file: the Context element information will be loaded by
all webapps of that host
    * in individual files (with a ".xml" extension)
in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
directory
    * if the previous file was not found for this
application, in individual file at /META-INF/context.xml inside the
application files

----------

So, for example, you can create a file
/META-INF/context.xml in your webapp with something like the following in it:

----------

<Context path="/myapp" debug="0" privileged="true"
reloadable="true">

</Context>

----------

L.

Mon Cab wrote:

Laurie & Paul

Thanks for your help on this one.  Is there any

way

that this could be configured to just reload the
specific classes that were changed, rather than
reloading the whole app?

Also, I read the link you gave to "set context
reloadable to true", but couldn't quite see which

file

I would set that in.  Would that be in web.xml?

--- Mon Cab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is there any way to avoid having to restart Tomcat
every time a class is recompiled in a webapp.   I

am

debugging a webapp at the moment, and everytime I
recompile my Action class I am having to wait 1
minute
for Tomcat to restart.

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in
one click.