(Just as an additional confirmation that it works ok in some configurations)
Our app has been up on JDK 1.5.0_02-b09 with Struts 1.2.4 and Tomcat
5.5.7 for about 6 months (compile and runtime).
Yes, we had some classloader and classpath issues to resolve, and that
was usually due to our clumsy usage, not the frameworks themselves.
Can't recall specifics.  Classpaths and Class loader issues are
well-known mongrels ... back to basics, and estimate in days!
(We may not be invoking the same methods that you are, so our case may
be irrelevant.)
Cheers