It is possible to have both types of functionality (with full page
reload and with asynchronous request) in just one component. Check
this out, does it look like something you need:
http://www.superinterface.com/jspcontrols/tabcontrol/index.jsp

If you have modern browser that supports XMLHTTPRequest and has
Javascript turned on, the tab panels will be reloaded using In-Place
Update (Ajax). If you have Javascript turned off or you have, say
Netscape 4, then the page will be refreshed. Notice that this would be
a redirect, not a forward, so you can refresh it manually after that
with no warnings. Also, with redirect you get the same user
experience, because page locations are not piled in browser page
history.

The tabs in the demo were created using JSP Controls Tag Library:
http://jspcontrols.sourceforge.net/

Michael J.