Frank,

I am getting your emails delivered twice to the list today. Are you click happy
today? :) haha
Maybe mine are getting delivered twice; please tell me if so.

As for the bug/issue, I mainly use MappingDispatchAction and so there's no
reason to specifically
code for isCancelled().... BUT I was looking at DispatchAction and that always
calls the
cancelled() method, but if it returns "null" it continues to the expected
method. I kind of find
that strange. "null" is an appropriate return value in Struts which means that
you handled the
request directly. To check for null here and then continue going is also a bug,
in my opinion.
That's another issue to debate.

I am sure someone may want this forwarded to the struts-dev boards, but I hate
signing up to
boards just for sending one email....

Now for proposing fixing. I really believe it's an error to populate the form,
bypass validation,
and invoke the destination in *all cases* for cancelling. What makes this a
difficult problem to
solve is that it's been around for many eons of Struts :)

Ted's solution is good but do we really want to that? I know more than a few
programs that require
cleaning up from a valid cancel before needing to forward off. Personally, for
the time being
anyhow, I still prefer setting a controller level property that assumes nothing
may be canceled
unless the action says so. Why? I have more actions that have no use for
canceling than ones that
do.

Did you notice validation is skipped in processValidate() when the request
attribute is set from
processPopulate()? We should try to determine what logic is appropriate to
remove the cancel
attribute, if need be.

Paul