Niall:

I took your recommendation and removed the action chaning from my struts
config.  I am still not seeing any error text.  Here is my new action
mapping:

                <action path="/Search" name="searchForm" type="
com.actions.SearchAction" input="home.jsp" validate="true">
                        <forward name="success" path="
displaysearchresults.jsp"/>
                        <forward name="error" path="home.jsp"/>
                </action>