Does all of the tiles:insert statements have to exist in the base layout?

I am trying to use a common, single base layout. I then want to extend this layout and override one of the tiles to create several intermediate layouts. I then want to extend these layouts. But, I can't figure out how to do this and the documentation doesn't show any examples.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. My base layout will have three tiles:insert statements:

    header
    middle
    footer

Now, I want to create an intermediate layout that extends the base layout and adds three tiles to the "middle" tile. I want the following layout to override the "middle" tile in the base layout:

    left | center | right

The intermediate layout would then look like this:

    header
    left | center | right
    footer

Now I want to extend the intermediate layout and override the "center" tile with content.

On some of my pages, I just want to extend the base layout and insert content in the "middle" tile. On others, I want to use the intermediate layout described above and insert content into the "center" tile.

Is there a way to combine to layouts (one layout inserted into another layout) and then insert content into a tile that part of the inserted layout?

Thanks,
Keith