Maybe it happens when the error is not thrown by Struts, so try to use the JSP directive <%@ page isErrorPage="true" %> which give you access to the implicit variable exception.

You can also use a exception handler :

<exception type="java.lang.Throwable"
                           key="error.error"
                           path="/err100.do"
                           handler="com.ddd.GlobalExceptionHandler"/>

package com.ddd;

public class GlobalExceptionHandler extends ExceptionHandler {

   public ActionForward execute(Exception ex,
           ExceptionConfig exConfig,
           ActionMapping mapping,
           ActionForm formInstance,
           HttpServletRequest request,
           HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException {
/* your custom code */ return super.execute(ex, exConfig, mapping, formInstance, request, response);
   }

Vlad

Michael Davis wrote:

Hello,

I'm working on a struts application which has just been deployed and is
being used by a large number of users. I've got an error handler set up
using the global-exceptions tag. It sends me an email whenever it
catches an exception.

My config looks like this:

        <global-exceptions>
                <exception type="java.lang.Throwable"
                           key="error.error"
                           path="/err100.do"/>
        </global-exceptions>

And my code does this:

Throwable e = (Throwable) request.getAttribute( Globals.EXCEPTION_KEY );

(remember that Globals.EXCEPTION_KEY is
"org.apache.struts.action.EXCEPTION").

Now my problem is that about half the time, e is null, so I can't
determine where the exception happened or even what it is.

Somehow struts is able to invoke my error handler, but sometimes does it
without setting Globals.EXCEPTION_KEY in the request. When does that
happen? How can I figure out what caused the error to happen?

thanks very much,
Michael from Ottawa