Keith,

I've done a lot of searching and reading since my last post and you are correct. But, it has left me wondering what others are doing about mixing markup language and text. Do they put the markup language in the resources file or breakup the text into chunks and leave the markup in the JSP files. I will probably post a specific question related to find out what others are doing.

Thanks a lot for spending the time to help me. And the book recommendation.

Keith

Keith Sader wrote:
Ok, since this app is internationalized, I'm guessing you have your
.en, .fr, etc. files all ready to go?  If I'm reading this right, it
looks like your app needs an internationalization effort put into it?
Maybe I misread.

That is correct.  As we cut over to Struts, we have been
internationalizing the messages, other template page text and text images.

Is there a reason you're not using the Applications.resources.(country
code) files to do this sort of thing?  Again, I'm probably missing
something.

I may not be doing this the right way.  Simple messages live in our
ApplicationResources.properties file.  Right now, we are only doing
english, which is the default.

But, I didn't know what to do with more complex messages, which may be
multiple paragraphs, with HTML, images, links, etc. And may contain
Struts/JSTL tags too. So what we have done is created a directory in our
application:

/messages/en/

In that directory, we place JSP files that contain the more complex
messages.  In the ApplicationResouces.properties file, we specify a URL
to the file containing the complex message.

Ok, I think you're making too much work for yourself.  If I understand
it(I8N) correctly, the only thing one really has to do is name all of
those .properties files with the right country code, insert the
translated text with the correct subsitution placeholders,  and
presto, the magic container will render the correct stuff for you. Then you get a pony :-) Mind you I'm recounting this from fuzzy
memory so the last two sentences could be completely and totally
inaccurate, but I'm pretty sure you get a pony...

Manning's _Struts in Action_ has a pretty good chaper (13) on App
localization.  http://www.manning.com/books/husted/contents.

Best of luck Keith!

thanks,
--