Thanks to everybody who replied to my original post. I am currently
using spring/acegi and it's working great - as long as you use Spring to
create your beans:

// Spring - works like a charm: security via acegi and transactions via
 proxies
this.entityManager = (IEntityManager)getBean(SpringBean.MANAGER_ENTITY);

// standard java: will never work and AOP isn't an option either, since
Spring is bypassed and thus any declarative enhancements are non-functional
this.entityManager = new EntityManager();

I guess I'll just document, that all my classes are Spring-managed and
pray that a) somebody will actually read the documentation and b)
prospective users of my API will know about Spring.

Regards,
Tom