Try having the following in your message resources:

errors.footer=
errors.header=

... or rather than using the default, you could specify empty header/footer
labels. In your application resources:

empty.footer=
empty.header=

... then on the errors tag:

...or you could use the messages tag instead:

name="msg"/></html:messages>

See:
http://www.niallp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HelpTagsErrorsAndMessages.html

Niall