While I agree they do this (it happened to me once), that is a risk you run in ANY shared hosting environment... an admin has to make a quick decision that will keep the other people sharing your box running, and many times the easiest solution (and arguably best) is to shut down the offending service, or app, or even domain, and then try and resolve it with the person who owns the supposed offender. They seem to be pretty good at least of informing you in a timely fashion that they had to shut X or Y down on you. At least, the one time it happened to me this was true.

I have been with Lunarpages for I think close to 3 years now, something like that, and it's been a fantastic experience overall. I personally WOULD recommend them... good price for what you get, and they are quite responsive (in my experience) to support requests, and for the most part let you do what you want (yes, there are some "not allowed" items to be aware of as Wendy points out). But, I seriously doubt they are checking everyones' domains, they will only know if a problem arises, so if your careful I suspect you can skirt that rule just a bit :)

Frank