Hey ATTA.

One of the neatest books I ever read was "Java Design" by Peter Coad and Mark
Mayfield. It takes you through the design of three or four applications in
terms of scratching out the objects and the application states and work flow
with pencil and paper. It serves as a good intro to object design and the UML
without going overboard into academics. It is not a text book (not knocking
text books -- get some of those too).

I would also get the "Gang of Four" book if you don't have it -- the original
"Design Patterns" book with code examples in C++.

Erik