Just my 2 cents.

If you design an application you can consider using different
frameworks for different application parts. Struts is there for the
presentation layer only. Struts doesn't care for the business logic in
behind, and this makes you more flexible. You can use ejb with struts,
or spring with struts, or pico, or whatever.

Comparing struts with spring is like comparing a your cars controls
with the motor. Sure you can do it, but it makes no sense.

Personally, I think the power of struts is that it only covers the
presentation and doesn't influence your architecture. It's focused and
good in its focus :-)

regards
leon