Weblogic has an option where you can force it load classes from the WEB-INF directory. I did that to eliminate any potential class loading conflicts... Still the same issue. I found a known issue http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs91/issues/known_resolved.html#1056681 [CR210907] :

   Netui databinding expression language fails when BeanInfo overrides
   JavaBean property names.

   Evaluation of expressions in the Netui databinding expression
   language throws errors when BeanInfo netui databinding EL does not
   to work when java.beans.BeanInfo is used to override JavaBean
   property names.

   *Workaround or Solution*:

   Do not override JavaBean property names using BeanInfo if you use a
   JavaBean in Netui databinding. If you must databind to such a bean,
   wrap the bean in a UI version of the bean that follows the JavaBean
   property naming convention.

Struts-el is essentially doing the same thing with mapping the property names using BeanInfo for each tag class.

This is just a guess, at this point I am running out of idea...

Servlet 2.4 is an option, just have a very large application that we will have to figure out how to port over...

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

Mujahid