>From: Mark Shifman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Thanks Gary:
> I am now getting a much more insidious exception thrown.
> I using the following:
>
><h:inputText id="s_id"  size="16" value="#{su_menu.s_id}">
>    <s:commonsValidator type="required" server="true" client="true"
> arg="#{msgs.validate_s_id}"/>
>    <s:commonsValidator type="float" server="true" client="true"
> arg="#{msgs.validate_s_id}" />
></h:inputText>
>
>java.lang.NullPointerException
>    at
>org.apache.shale.validator.CommonsValidator.validate(CommonsValidator.java:525)

This is a bug in the validator-rules.xml.  The formal parameter of the isDouble
method
defines the parameter type as a double but it's actually a String.

The validator entry should be:

      <validator name="float"
            classname="org.apache.commons.validator.GenericValidator"
               method="isDouble"
         methodParams="java.lang.String"
              depends=""
                  msg="errors.float"
       jsFunctionName="FloatValidations">

Please submit this as a bugzilla ticket but I have a workaround.

The default validation-rules.xml is packaged in with the shale-core.jar but you
can override
this by a parameter in the web.xml.

 <context-param>
    <param-name>org.apache.shale.validator.VALIDATOR_RULES</param-name>
    <param-value>/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml</param-value>
  </context-param>

Copy down the validator-rules.xml into your WEB-INF and change the methodParams
to match the fragment above.

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/struts/shale/trunk/core-library/src/conf/validator-rules.xml?view=markup

Gary