Dakota Jack wrote:
I would like to disabuse the "usuals" of an assumption that seems to pervade
these discussions, viz., that everything is open for discussion and
any statement
is warranted.  That simply is not consistent with intelligent discussion.
The very idea that Struts 1.x is a viable choice for a new project is itself
really questionable.

The only conditions where I see it making sense is for people who already have a significant investment in using Struts 1.x and, therefore, know all the various API's and the various gotchas like the backs of their hands.

Then, pragmatically speaking, it could well be the easiest, fastest way for those people to crank out some typical kind of web app.

But what started off this discussion was a query from someone who had never used Struts (or any competing java framework) before. Given those parameters, it seems crazy to recommend Struts 1.x at this stage of history. If the developers of the thing basically say it's obsolete and won't be developed further, why on earth should this not be taken at face value?

Jonathan Revusky

I have to wonder how anyone looking at the issues
could think that and be taken seriously.  Is there nothing on this list that
is settled truth?  Nothing?  I thought at least the fact that this community
has abandoned Struts 1.x as second rate ought to be unassailable grounds for
NOT recommending it to people asking for advice.  But, I guess not.  I don't
know if a normal conversation is possible with this community.