You can also look at ADF Faces which in incubation now at http://myfaces.apache.org/. What is the incubation period and what it means i am not clear with that though. Probably Craig knows more about it. Give a try at ADF Faces and look at the demo pages. It has around 100 components which work fine with most browers. It internally uses AJAX for its components to do partial page rendering. JSF component developers will wire up javascript in the component renderers such that end users don't bother about all the Javascript stuff. By the time you work, if there are more compoents that are being developed, i am sure you will be able to add them to the component pallette in JDEV or Java Studio Creator. JDEV 10.3 like Java Studio Creator also has drag and drop features for ADF Faces and i believe it can pick My Faces tags too. I am not sure whether JDEV can pick up Sun RI components or if Java Studio Creator can pick up ADF Faces and My Faces components in its component pallete. Craig might have some information on these.

Thanks,
Vijay Venkataraman