On 4/6/06, Givler, Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have an application where we'd like to prevent the user from navigating
> within the application using bookmarks or their history.  If they do this, in
> most cases, the proper queries will not have run and the application will be
> in an indeterminate state.
>
> We thought the solution was to simply look at the http "referer" header and
> if that value was null, it meant that they did not click a hyperlink within
> our application when they hit the page.  Unfortunately, we have situations
> where this is null.  (I really don't know why this would be true, but it is.)
>
> So, what's the solution for something like this?  We know the user is logged
> in, as that's another check, we just want to make sure they perform legal
> operations, such as:
>
> form b
>   you can get here via :
>     form a only
>
> form c
>   you can get here via:
>    form (b) next
>    form (d) previous
>    form (c) postback
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

You can either have different addresses for you pages, then when a
user navigates to a page, check current status and jump to allowed
page.

Or you can have one address, and display a view depending on current
user state. If you ok with using session, then take a look here:

Live Demo: http://www.superinterface.com/wizard/signupWizard.do
Samples:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=49385&package_id=154597&release_id=398869

Michael.