Hi Quinn,

Quinn Stone wrote:
1. Does the Servlet filter seem a good solution?

Yes, but not quite as described, and ironically its because of the answer to #2 :)

2. If I throw an EnrollmentDingBat exception from said Servlet Filter, will a
handler defined in <global-exceptions> catch it? My suspicion is that the filter
might executing too early, before struts mechanics cut in.

No, it won't.  As you suspect, the filter fires before Struts gets involved.

However, what you *can* do, is simply forward somewhere from the filter. It could be straight to a JSP, or it could be to an Action mapping, whatever is appropriate.

I think using a filter is generally a decent idea, but one thing to consider: what are you going to map it to? It sounds like you have many possible URLs that you would need to check, hence the reason for wanting some "central" checkpoint in the first place. The problem is, the filter is of course going to fire for *any* mapped request indiscriminately. While filters, unless poorly written, tend to not add a horrible amount of overhead, you may not want to add any at all where it isn't necessary. So, onto #3...

No, three questions:

3. Any better ideas?

I would probably do it instead with a custom Action base class that your other Actions extend from. Then, only extend from it those Actions where this check is needed. I mean, if you determine its needed for all of them, or nearly all of them, then I'd probably go with the filter. If you can narrow it down to just a handful though, the custom base Action might be a better answer.

HTH,
Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti