Ted wrote:
> If the situation is that you have business logic trapped in Struts
> Actions that you want to access from an ASPX application, then you
> might be able to create web service to front the Action, and have the
> ASPX application access the web service. (The inverse of what I
> mentioned before.)

Thanks Ted, that does help. I have taken this one step further than your
description.

I am a Sr Dev/Architect at my present company, and we've been using a tiered
architecture that flows like so:

.NET (either ASP.NET or Windows Forms .NET)
  | (SOAP through .NET Web service proxy)
Apache AXIS web services (Residing in Apache Tomcat)
  | (AXIS uses Java reflection here)
Business Delegate pattern Java classes
  | (Didn't really delegate too much :) )
Custom DAL layer
  | (JDBC)
Database

Seeing the power of Struts, I wanted to move more toward an MVC
architecture, esp. since we have two "view" apps for this application.

Instead of utilizing Struts, because of its Java-centric view pieces, I have
developed an architecture based on the open source STRUTS framework.  Right
now this has three man-weeks worth of work into it. I have checked with the
Director of Technology at my company, and the company wants to contribute to
Open Source, since Struts and other Apache Group projects have made my life
ever so much easier.

I thought that since my custom framework was based on STRUTS, that this was
the right project to try to contribute back to the community.  My simple
code may not be "up to snuff", but it's my meagre attempt at a
contribution.  I must admit, I would LOVE to begin to contribute back to the
community because of all that I have learned and benefited.

My next question for you Ted (or others), is:
"How would I contribute this source back to Struts, and do you think that
the committee would be interested in adopting this framework into the Struts
project?"

Thanks and Regards,
John Walker

On 4/23/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Is there a way that I can have a Struts application that services a
.NET
> > > view, Struts controller, and Struts model objects?
>
> If you need to render an ASPX page, then either ASP.NET or MONO needs
> to be in the picture. Right now, I don't know of a way to run both
> ASP.NET and J2SE in the same application space. They could both use a
> common set of web services. I do know people who use ASP.NET to create
> web services, and then use a Java web framework on the front end.
>
> If the situation is that you have business logic trapped in Struts
> Actions that you want to access from an ASPX application, then you
> might be able to create web service to front the Action, and have the
> ASPX application access the web service. (The inverse of what I
> mentioned before.)
>
> One effort in that regard is
>
> * http://sourceforge.net/projects/strutsws
>
> If you are developing an ASPX application, I've found the Spring.NET
> framework very userful in my own work.
>
> * http://springframework.net/
>
> HTH, Ted.
>
> On 4/23/06, John B. Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > yes, an ASPX file
> >

> > On 4/21/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> >  What do mean by a .NET view? Are you talking about a .ASPX file with a
> > code-behind?
> >
> > -Ted.
> >
> > On 4/21/06, John Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Is there a way that I can have a Struts application that services a
.NET
> > > view, Struts controller, and Struts model objects?
> > >
> > > I've recently been writing my own framework to do such a thing, and
I'm