Ok, figured out the below.

I remember running into this before and I should have remembered it.
For those reading this from the archives at some late date...

it really helps if you use regular pojos as values for your Maps.
These pojos can thus have the proper getter/setters for access to the
type of object you really care about as storing as your map values.

When I nested the String[] inside of a "Roles" object (with String[]
getRoles method and setter) and then stuffed the "Roles' object as the
value for each key in the map, things work fine.

so instead of

 property="productRolesMap.${productMapItem.key.productId}">

I have

 property="productRolesMap.${productMapItem.key.productId}.roles">

and everything is fine (and I did need to use the reset method to
reset the String[] object in the Roles object since I decided to use
Session scope because didn't feel like using Lazy objects).

--
Rick