My understanding of the JSF lifecycle is a bit tenuous.  As a result,
I'm confused about the proper use of init(), preprocess(), and
prerender().  Thus far, I've just been using init() and destroy() to
handle the creation and closing of Connections and other minor duties
because they have just worked for what I needed.  Now, I'm moving on
with some more complex pages and I want to be sure that I'm leveraging
the AbstractViewController for all it's worth.

The documentation does a good job of explaining when and under what
conditions the events are fired, however, my weakness is that I just
don't know what kind of jsf programming events to stuff in each one.

"If I have a component that uses select items (that don't live in the
application or session scopes), should I build them in init() or
prerender()?"  These are the kinds of questions I wrestle with.

An actual issue that I'm working through now is this: I have a page that
lists 'Contracts'.  If the user clicks one, the plan is to navigate to a
detail page, with the Contract's id number stored in the parameter map.
The detail page's backing bean needs to instantiate a Contract object
based on the id value, but do I do that in the bean constructor, the
init() or the prerender() methods?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks