I'm experiencing the same behavior, and I've built all my views in Clay
as well.  Here's an interesting behavior that I see in my Controller
(extending the Shale Controller).

I have Page A that displays a data table with image links throughout that
link to an action, let's call it "edit". This is backed by a managed
PageAViewController.  If I put the following calls in init():
  - a call to the spring-jsf resolver to get my service object
  - make the service object call (underlying is a Hibernate call)
then, Page A displays the data table, and the link action method is
called and I'm brought to Page B.

Now, if I move the service object Hibernate call to prerender() in
PageAViewController (where I think it should be), the data table is
still displayed, but this time, when I click on any of the links, the
link action method is never called, and the page is redisplayed.  I
can't figure out what I'm doing wrong for the life of me, seems like
everything should work.

I've even added the immediate="true" as Gary suggested, but that
doesn't help to any avail.  I find it interesting that if all the calls
are init(), I get the right page, but I don't want to make the
Hibernate data call all the time.  Anyone else seen this? Anybody have
any debugging tips?

_RK