I strongly recommend AGAINST that technique.

1. It's very narrow and easily circumvented (by turning off javascript, by
opening an new window or tab instead of leaving the page you might want to come
back to).

2. It's very user un-friendly.  It's against W3C recommendations.  It breaks
the web paradigm.

In my opinion, it's better to learn to create web-apps that don't have an issue
with the back button than to patch bad apps with bad bandaids such as that.

 - George Dinwiddie
   http://www.idiacomputing.com/