From: Albert L. Sapp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: vrijdag 9 juni 2006 16:20
Subject: Re: best way to send parameters through more requests

Emilia Ipate wrote:

Hello, all!

Is there a solution besides using session, to send some request
parameters from one request to another?
I would like to implement something like a shopping cart (a functionality which needs about4-5 steps) and I do not want to store the objects in the session (it is alread too big)!

So, do you have any ideas?

Kind regards,
Emilia

Emilia,

Wanted so what everyone had to say before I dropped in my 2 cents. The only thing we keep in session is the userID and the unitID for where they are shopping. This happens in step 1. In step 2, we query the db to see if they already have shopping cart items from a previous trip to the storeroom. This step is repeated over and over again as they add items to their cart. They can add, delete or update an item from this jsp and are always returned to it. Finally in step 3, they say ok check

me out and we collect the account information we need, create the accounting transactions, update stock levels, remove the shopping cart items and give them a chance to print out a listing of their purchases.

The 2 session attributes are cleared and we go back to the jsp where the

next person enters their userID.

3 steps with one of them being repeated. We went with the db approach because we had to try and capture the items a person said they were taking in case they give a invalid account or simply get too rushed and leave without completing the shopping process. Believe me, that happens

more than we like.

I hope this was helpful.

Al

Emilia,

That is the point for us. This application is used in the storeroom to allow a user to enter the stock they are taking out of the storeroom. Granted we could have people walk out with stock and not even enter it, but, if they do enter it, we want to be able to contact them and ask what they did with the stock. Did they put it back? Did they take and forget to checkout? Did they take it and the account they used come back as invalid? Then, the storekeeper can either complete the checkout or clear the shopping cart for the user.

We have some indication available to our storekeepers that some activity has taken place and contact information to use to follow up with. I mean we are relieve them of the data entry they were doing. They just have a new job of following up on checkouts not performed. Our next step is to allow for ordering of items for delivery or pickup and using the shopping cart to build the pick list for the storekeepers.

If this were a shopping cart for a web site, I can see where they would like it in session because then it is cleared when the session teminates and they don't have all this unneeded information in their db. For us the situation is different and we really need that information to make sure all information needed for a final transaction is captured. This is even more important when our pricing might change the next minute because a storekeeper is adding new stock received and price averaging is occuring.

Hope this clarifies how we look at things. By the way, I work for a university and these storerooms are supplying student labs and researchers and we have some really strict stock control issues with chemicals and such.

Al