Provide the following:
1. Action form code - complete
2. JSP snippet that you are using to print the messages

Alternatively postpone the validation till the action class. In the action
class check for user name and password and if there is a problem then set
the errors as:

ActionErrors errMessages = new ActionErrors();
errMessages.add("something", new ActionMessage("some.key");
saveErrors(request, errMessages);

and then forward the control to the same JSP where the error occurred.

~madhav