Thanks David and Wendy for your help but it doesn't seem to work.
I added manually validate in my execute method. It still validates if I
directly enter the url.

I am pasting part of my code for you to take a look and let me know where I
am going wrong. Thanks again!

--Struts config part--
<action path="/selState"
            type="com.sami.view.SelStateAction"
            name="selStateForm"
            scope="session"
            input=".selectState">
      <forward name="success" path=".indianLandInfo"/>
    </action>

---SelStateAction--
    SelStateForm sform = (SelStateForm) form;
       String isSubmitted = sform.getIsSubmitted();
       if(isSubmitted == "Yes" || isSubmitted.equalsIgnoreCase("Yes"))
       {
           ActionErrors errors = sform.validate( mapping, request );
       }

    return mapping.findForward("success");

---JSP file---

validateSelStateForm(this);">