On 6/29/06, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/29/06, Scott Van Wart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Friedman wrote:
> > And now for the simple and exact way: check the jar's META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> > file.  I have 1.2.9 and the commons-validator.jar has a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> > file with this in it:
> >
> I've found that this isn't always reliable -- commons-beanutils.jar in
> struts 1.2.9, for example, has 1.6 in the MANIFEST.MF.  So I download
> the source to 1.6, and some classes are missing.  So I download the
> source AND BINARY for commons-beanutils 1.7.  Sure enough, the
> distribution's .jar says 1.6, but the file size of the binary .jar
> matches the filesize of the .jar included in struts 1.2.9.  I conclude
> it must really be 1.7.  SO, after having checked the MANIFEST.MF, I
> would suggest downloading the binary straight from the upstream
> distribution site and comparing file sizes/binaries to double-check.

That was a bug in the BeanUtils 1.6 release, which at the time the
manifest version number needed to be updated manually (and it was
forgotten):

 http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-31

With Struts 1.3.x the dependency jars being distributed are no longer
being re-named, so they indicate the version number in the jar name
(commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar rather than commons-beanutils.jar) so
hopefully there will be less confusion.

P.S. The Struts user guide lists the dependency versions for each release:

http://struts.apache.org/struts-doc-1.2.9/userGuide/installation.html
http://struts.apache.org/struts-doc-1.2.8/userGuide/installation.html
http://struts.apache.org/struts-doc-1.2.7/userGuide/installation.html
http://struts.apache.org/struts-doc-1.2.4/userGuide/installation.html