This is a helpful advice, I always use "name" explicitly. But in this
case this is not it. According to FormTag.java source code:

=== cut here ===
       // Look up the form bean definition
       FormBeanConfig formBeanConfig =
           moduleConfig.findFormBeanConfig(mapping.getName());

       if (formBeanConfig == null) {
           JspException e = null;

           if (mapping.getName() == null) {
               e = new
JspException(messages.getMessage("formTag.name", calcAction));
           } else {
               e = new JspException(messages.getMessage("formTag.formBean",
                           mapping.getName(), calcAction));
           }

           pageContext.setAttribute(Globals.EXCEPTION_KEY, e,
               PageContext.REQUEST_SCOPE);
           throw e;
       }
=== cut here ===

Here mapping != null, but mapping.getName() == null. And I don't
really know why.

Another interesting gotcha is that FormTag removes Constants.BEAN_KEY
from page context, therefore implicit references to outer form will
not work after inner form closes. I would suggest not to put one
html:form into another. But this should not be the reason for
Caroline's bug.