Felix, I wish I could have saved you the 6 hours! I went through this very same
upgrade process myself, and it is not well documented that JSP-EL is off by
default in a 2.3 container :-( And it gives the illusion it is on when all your
EL are within JSTL tags. -- Paul

Felix Khazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Indeed I am:

I am using http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd

After you told me that I did the following and fixed the problem:

change

    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

to this:

http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
    version="2.4">

Then after restarting tomcat I got the following error: "According to TLD or
attribute directive in tag file,
attribute value does not accept any expressions".

Now my JSTL tags were broken. So after a quick Google search I found that you
have to change your taglib from

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core_rt"; %>

After doing all this the EL is now being evaluated on the JSTL tags, and my JSP
page. 6 hours wasted on this stupid problem.

Thank you very much Paul and Wendy for all your help.

Felix