One (of many) problems with this approach is that it may fail to
initialize, but that won't happen until the class is loaded at first
use.  If an application is broken because the database is inaccessible,
it's better to know at deployment.  I use a servlet startup listener
(javax.servlet.ServletContextListener) to perform initialization.

 - George
   http://www.idiacomputing.com/