temp temp wrote:
The object which I want to convert into Integer is a number and can be
converted to int, its not a string or a boolean .
I get this object either from  request attribute , or request parameter or a
DAO.
  If  I  get this  ob ject  from request parameter I  cannot cast it to integer
 because I get compilation error stating  that  cannot cast a String to integer
in this case do I have to  create a new Integer every time ?
  Thanks & Regards
Technically the code I wrote below will work for String objects as well. You have to create a new integer every time, because it first needs to be parsed. It might be a number, but it's a number stored in a String. You have to express this to the language:

Integer someInt = new Integer( request.getParameter( "param" ) );

You also have to wrap it in try { ... } catch ( NumberFormatException e ) { ... } for those "just in case" situations.

If it's an attribute of the request, you need to first cast it to a String, if that's the way it was stored:

Integer someInt = new Integer( (String)request.getAttribute( "attr" ) );

- Scott
Scott Van Wart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: temp temp wrote:
What is the best way to convert an object to an Integer  .If casting dosen't
work?

Object probablyAnInteger = ....;

Integer someInt;
if ( probablyAnInteger == null || probablyAnInteger.equals( "" ) )
{
  someInt = null;
}
else
{
  try
  {
    someInt = new Integer( probablyAnInteger.toString() );
  }
  catch ( NumberFormatException e )
  {
     // definitely not an integer