[moving to struts-user list]
A new session is created when you request a new session somewhere,
it's not created automatically. However, there could be a filter,
request processor, action, or JSP  somewhere that does a
request.getSession() or .getSession(true) (or '... session="true"...'
in JSP), which all will create a session if none exists. If it's
buried deep enough in a chain of filters it could *appear* to be magic
:-)

There is a method isNew() on the session that you can check to see if
it's a new session that might help in your case.

-ed