Did you also map the filter to /* with a filter-mapping?

Just after the filter element you declared you should have:

<filter-mapping>
 <filter-name>SessionInactivityFilter< /filter-name>
 <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

This is the first think I can think of.

If you think that you got that right it would be good if I could see your
whole web.xml file.

Tamas