Bill Milbratz ha scritto:
Hi Antonio,

Thanks for responding.

Short answer: no. But the question is: what do you want it for?
Yes. I should have clarified.

Basically we want to leverage tiles to create a 'poor man's portal'
(i.e.  something simple w/o going full-blown jsr 168).

We envisioned the following. The application would:

a) "know about" the various tiles on the page  by parsing
tiles-definitions.xml (the values of the "name" attribute)

b) offer UI to allow administrators to control "what goes where"..."put
this piece of content in the left_center", put this forum teaser in the
bottom right. (We would store in our app database "this module goes in
this tile")

c) use a "get content" servlet would process the tile and populate it
with the html. In this example, the servlet would look up what should
appear on the 'center_section':
  <put name="center_section" direct="true" path="/servlet/getcontent"/>

Maybe I did not understood you well, but I still can't see how the
"knowledge of where the tile is" could be useful.

If this isn't an option, I thought another mechanism would be to
extend/write another definitions factory and 'define/redefine' our tile
definition on-the-fly using data from our application.
The tilesAdvancedFeatures.pdf on Cedric Dumoulin's site says:
   >Another option is to write a factory that reads definitions from
other >sources, like a DB. I hope Tiles will provide such a factory soon.

Well, I don't know if it is useful, Dimensions has an overridden
DefinitionsFactory. I suppose that you are using Struts-Tiles (and not
Tiles 2). You can find Dimensions at:
http://mutidimensions.sf.net/
Anyway if you are interested in Tiles and portals, Tiles 2 supports (at
least conceptually) portlets, but it is still under development:
http://struts.apache.org/struts-sandbox/tiles/index.html

HTH
Antonio