A drag-and-drop struts aware IDE ... I believed that there are some existed

My team use text editor and some page layout design tool to develop struts
and webwork webapp, quite fast and the most important thing is they will
understand how a web ui process works (how request is processed, how tag is
performed). I am not saying drag-and-drop style IDE will not help developer
to speed up development, littlely yes. But I am worried also, it will make
developers become lazy and it may not bring any benefit of helping developer
understand the inside of your webapp.

On 10/21/06, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10/20/06, Bruno Melloni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It surprises me that a drag-and-drop struts aware IDE does not exist.  A
> Struts drag-and-drop plug-in for Eclipse would be a very compelling
> product - the strength of (a current version of) Struts with the easy of
> use of Visual Studio... Many would pay for that.

It should not be quite so surprising, when you think a bit about what such
tool would actually have to do.  Struts tags for JSP pages are not really
standalone "components", so the tool would have to continually recompile
the
entire page and then ask it to render itself (simulating the runtime
environment inside a servlet container) every time you dropped a new tag,
or
changed a property on an existing one.  Given the speed of current
generation JSP compilers (a lot better than it used to be, but still
visible) that is still going to make it hard to provide a great user
experience.

Tools for component oriented frameworks like JSF get away without this,
because the components can be rerendered indivisually.  For example, in
Java
Studio Creator when you drop a new component, it just asks that component
(and any children) to rerender, with no need to deal with the entire page.

Craig

--
When we invent time, we invent death.